If you have been served with divorce papers or a petition to modify support or child custody, you should contact an attorney immediately.

A divorce or other complaint is usually served by a sheriff’s deputy or other authorized process server. If you do not answer (respond to) the complaint properly, and within thirty (30) days, your ability to contest the divorce may be lost under Georgia law and you will be placed at a significant disadvantage.

However, if it has been more than thirty (30) days, not all is lost – but you should still call an attorney immediately to preserve your rights.